CUT to YOU | Perfect | Mel Fiel

 Hey there everyone!

Today on the CUT to YOU blog I have a layout for you that has significantly tested and challenged me to no end. I have well and truly worked outside my comfort zone. The end result is very different from my initial plan but overall I think it works.

This month I have gone back to trying to document some more photos from our wedding, 25 years ago. I don’t know about you but I have put this album off for the last 19 years of my scrapbooking life and had plans to complete it before our 25th anniversary…but I am like a kid in a lolly shop and always find something different to distract me.

(Apologies for the yellow tone to the photo…bad weather means lighting for photos is not great!)

I started with the mixed media background. I had a few challenges for this layout…
**I am using a 25-year-old photo, the colour, and lighting in the photo are not great. 
**I struggle to work with ‘purple’ at the best of times. Sometimes I wonder why I chose purple for the bridesmaids…but I did and I have to work with it and I wouldn’t change a thing about it really….but I don’t have a lot of purple in my stash, especially embellishments.

I have used the packaging technique with the three different purple shimmer watercolours in the background. The purple from Vicki Boutin's Hidden Gems watercolour set and two ColourBlast Shimmer pots Lovely Lilac and Royalty. I spent a bit of time building up the colours until I was happy with the result. I also used a pearl white shimmer watercolour from the Vicki Boutin watercolour set for some splatters in the background.

I have used the magnificent Lace Doily 2 cut file for this layout as the main background feature. I just LOVE this cut file and its versatility. I have cut it from plain white card stock and have cut it nearly as large as the background cardstock. Given that I was going to do a mixed media background I decided not to back the cut file as I didn’t want the background to be covered.

Now, given that I am not really known to work with purple on a regular basis I was very limited with embellishments to use, as I said before. Luckily enough I didn’t want to use a lot of embellishments as I felt that the cut file needed to remain the feature of the layout. So I went diving into my stash and came up with some very simple embellishments (some rather old). Some cute little silk flowers and I have used the stalks as curled features in the clusters. I have used some resin flowers, hearts, and some thin purple ribbon. Simple but enough!

The paper layers, mainly from the 49 & Market - Spectrum Gardenia collection behind my photo reflect those that border my layout. Some black to match the title word ‘Perfect’ (Thickers - Storyteller) and some purple. I have added a slight touch of pink to echo the small number of pink flowers in the bouquet and the cute little resin hearts. It might be hard to tell in the photo but another paper layer is some recycled white wrapping paper which has the best texture…I just love it. I have also softened the layers with a layer of vellum and a strip of lace, which also echos the lace in my wedding dress.

I finished off the layout with some outlining with a black and white pen, including some white shadowing on the puffy letter title and some purple staples in the corners (this was a cool find in the stash). Finally, some sprinkles of Nuvo Drops in the clusters and on the cut file.

I haven’t done any journalling on the layout but have included a small amount on the back of the layout. I’m still not convinced that I enjoy working with purple BUT I am happy with the end result, am glad that I have completed another layout for our wedding album and had fun doing it. What more could I ask for?

Many thanks for popping into the blog to check out my project. I hope that it inspires you in some way. Be sure to head over to the CUT to YOU online shop and/or the Etsy store to check out the Backgrounds section and the 3 different doilies that you could use to add that distinctive look to your layout. So, so pretty!!
Happy creating everyone, can’t wait to see what you create!! Link your project in the comments below or share/tag me on my socials..

Instagram: @mfield30

Mel xo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Follow Me

Scrap That Poetry

Come Along - We Would Love YOU to Join Us!!